The GMB is a general trade union in the United Kingdom, and has more than 600,000 members. Its members are drawn from many sectors, with particular strength amongst manual workers in local government and the health service. There are organised GMB branches at 34 of Britain's 50 largest companies.
GMB had had a web presence for several years, with their current site being supported by a bespoke CMS, developed by Poptel. The website had evolved and changed over the years that GMB has been using this software. GMB regarded their website as an essential tool in retaining existing members and recruiting new members, particularly as the use of the Internet by members has increased. The ability to provide online joining had proved to GMB how cost-effective online transactions can be and as such GMB wanted to re-develop and re-design their website to provide a platform for more initiatives which would generate revenue, increase membership and streamline their services.
The existing CMS was “clunky” and not well supported. In addition, some operations took a considerable amount of time to carry out making the web publishing process very inefficient. This was compounded by poor support from the incumbent provider and not suiting GMB’s needs
Following a competitive tendering process, Unified Solutions were awarded the contract of supplying and implementing a new content managed website. The scope of the project covered a full Unified Solutions InSite™ Methodology which guided GMB through the process of identifying their target audience groups, users’ interactions with the website through to building a simple but engaging site structure into a full refresh to the look and feel of the website.
The project has been split into two distinct parts; one is the re-design and identification of functionality and integration of a standard site with the Alterian Content Manager CMS and the other of developing functional elements, split into several phases. The new site gave members instant access to all membership materials and the ability to sign up, renew or edit membership details online. With the increased levels of internet access and the cheap availability of high speed broad band connections, the union will be well positioned for the 21st century. Faced with an out dated website with poor CMS functionality and a demanding membership base of 600,000, GMB required Unified to implement the following;
- Full creative services
- Design and development of an easy to navigate website
- A fully accessible website built to industry standards
- A more visually appealing and contemporary website design
- Significantly improved search technology
- Significantly improved search engine optimisation
- Facilities to translate content automatically
- A robust, industry-leading content management system
- Development of online communities to encourage self-help
- Distribution of advice, training and materials via the site
- Micro-sites to appeal to different age groups and types of member
- eMarketing facilities to communicate with members in a cost effective and targeted manner
- Full integration with the APT- Stratum Membership Solution and registration system
- Design & Build of member registration to use website, creation of membership provider and synchronisation with REST
- Profiling and Member Directory
- RSS feeds to and from the site
- Personalisation, Groups, Polls, Surveys, Events Diary
- The creation of engaging areas to promote video, podcasts, audio and photos
- Taxonomy management functionality, with enhanced bespoke functionality allowing content to randomly appear throughout the website.
The GMB is a general trade union in the United Kingdom, and has more than 600,000 members
Location: Wimbledon, London